Monday, August 3, 2009

2009 Dodge Caliber R/T

What it is: The Caliber is Dodge’s most recent foray into the econobox market and serves as the replacement for the much-maligned Dodge Neon. The Caliber premiered in 2006 and Dodge offers it in several models from the basic SE version to the hot rod SRT-4. I tested the R/T model, which stands for Road/Track. I was excited to get behind the wheel of the Caliber because it was an R/T model and there was potential to have some fun. Unfortunately, as soon as I saw a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), I knew that little-to-no fun would be had. CVTs are great for saving gas mileage, but they’re almost synonymous with poor performance. This was unfortunately the case with the Caliber R/T, but fear not, Dodge does offer a normal 5-speed manual transmission that costs $1,075 less than the CVT. What the Caliber didn’t offer in performance was partly made up for with usability. The Caliber looks like a mini Crossover Utility Vehicle and provides ample storage room in the back when you open the hatch.

Upsides: More “fun” (and I use that term loosely) than the smaller-engined models in the Caliber lineup. Lots of room for passengers and groceries. Gets better gas mileage with the CVT transmission.

Downsides: Dodge needs to seriously upgrade their interiors. GM and Ford have come light years in their quality with lower models, and it’s time for Dodge to do the same.

Price: Base SE model $17,090 – SRT-4 model $25,474. $3,500 current incentives. $21,445 as tested.

Final thoughts: I love Dodge cars and it really hurts me to not write a glowing review, but very simply this is not a very good car for the price. Give me a Saturn Astra, give me a Kia Soul, give me a Scion xB, give me a Kia Spectra 5, as I would really take all of those over the Caliber at this point. Dodge’s other cars (especially the new Ram) are mostly wonderful, they just forgot to spread some love to the Caliber.

No comments:

Post a Comment