Wednesday, December 23, 2009

TEST DRIVE: 2009 Dodge Challenger

2009 Dodge Challenger

This Challenger Fails to Meet the Challenge

2009 Dodge Challenger


Detroit’s mid-decade desire to return to the glory days of muscle cars resulted in well-received concepts from the each of the “Big 3” automakers. At Chrysler’s Dodge division, that meant the return of the Challenger.

I was excited about this car when it appeared in concept form at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Dodge designers had clearly recaptured the muscular magnificence of Challenger’s past, creating a look that had me salivating at the thought of one day driving one. It took a while, but that day finally came and I found myself less than impressed.

Having driven a Chrysler 300 SRT-8 with the 6.1 liter HEMI V-8 engine-- loving its quick acceleration and taut, muscular feel-- I was extremely disappointed to find that the Challenger R/T, equipped with the 5.7 liter HEMI V-8, produced little-- if any-- feeling of muscular power. Everything about the driving experience—seating, steering, acceleration—felt loose. It was not what I expected. Yes, the Challenger R/T had power, but it felt more like big touring sedan power than muscle coupe power. I felt like I was driving a boat, not a sports car.

Maybe I need the perspective of having driven a late 70’s model Challenger, like the “General Lee,” featured in the television series “The Dukes of Hazzard.”

My guess is the Challenger SRT-8 is tight. My experience with the challenger R/T was not. Sales seem to bear this out. The Challenger lags behind the Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang.

Features

Standard features on the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T test model included remote keyless entry, day/night rear view mirror, cruise control and AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio with 4-speaker sound. SIRIUS Satellite Radio was the only added option.

Summary

As 21st Century muscle cars go, the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T has the look, but doesn’t completely deliver on performance. I expected a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment